Whole Wheat Pesto Gnocchi
Enjoy these tasty ‘gnocchi’s’ made with fresh basil and a combo of pine nuts and slivered almonds. You can have a high protein, high fiber dinner in under 30 minutes (even less time if you make them ahead and freeze). Truly a quick meal for moms who are always on the go!
1 1/2 cups organic whole wheat flour
1 cup organic unbleached white flour
2 cups ricotta cheese (16 oz.)
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 organic egg
1/3 cup basil pesto
1. In a large bowl add the ricotta cheese, egg and basil pesto; then start adding the flours.
2. Stir altogether to form dough and remove to your board.
3. Continue to form dough with hands add more flour as needed and then let it rest about 5 minutes.
4. Cut off little pieces and start rolling into long logs onto your lightly floured board.
5. When they are about the diameter of a finger, then take a sharp knife and cut
into 1″ inch pieces.
6. Pick them up loosely, shaking the flour off, and put them onto a cookie sheet.
7. At this time you may drop them into boiling, salted and oiled water, and take
them out gently, with a fenestrated utensil, when they have reached the
8. OR when they are on the cookie sheet, you may flash freeze them for a couple
hours, being sure they are not touching each other, and then put them into an
air tight packing system that works well for you. MAKES 2 pounds
* You can use Cottage Cheese in place of Ricotta Cheese
* For a change, use a Parsley/Garlic and oil Pesto in place of the typical Basil Pesto